Friday, June 3, 2016

A Wonderful Low-Cost Water Filter

We live in a region known for abundant, fresh, and clear water, the Pacific Northwest. However, more and more tests are showing that tap water in some cities in the Pacific Northwest, as well as many other regions, have dangerously high lead levels. Many of us feel, have felt for years, that we cannot rely on the cleaning methods of the municipal water system. Having a home water purification system just makes sense in this world where more junk is being dumped into our shared water supply all the time. Factory farms, modern industry, petroleum based global transportation, and the pharmaceutical industry all contribute to the problem of dirty, unsafe drinking water- even in places where we expect the water to be so clean.

Several months ago, I was searching online for a water purification system that would work in our new house. We had installed an under-sink water filter at our old place. At our new house, there is no place at the sink for the spout of that style of water filter to come up through. I considered buying the type of water filter that attaches to the main faucet, but they seem bulky and cumbersome. I did not want a bunch of plastic. I did not want something with expensive filters that would need to be replaced frequently. I really thought I might not find anything that worked for us, and I was tired of drinking water that tasted of chlorine.

A Wonderful Low-Cost Water Filter - LifeUnprocessed.com

It was actually thrilling when I found this water filter. I never knew this design existed. The gravity fed, stainless steel countertop water filter was exactly what I was looking for:

  • It's very low tech- it requires no plumbing or batteries.
  • It's low maintenance- the ceramic filters do not need to be replaced. When the water filtration rate starts to get too slow, you simply remove the filters and give them a good scrub, and they will filter again like new.
  • The unit is made of high grade stainless steel and ceramic, with very little plastic (the base of the filters and the spigot that comes with it, which is replaceable, are plastic).
  • From what I can tell, this type of filter removes virtually everything you want removed, while leaving the important trace minerals. It renders unsafe water safe, whether that water came from a well, a stream, or your urban tap.
  • And finally, it's an amazing price, considering many water filters cost thousands of dollars.

A Wonderful Low-Cost Water Filter - LifeUnprocessed.com

Maybe most importantly, the water that comes from this water purifier tastes GREAT. I have started actually enjoying drinking plain water, something I had not really been in the habit of lately. It's satisfying, smooth, and pure. I didn't even know what I was missing before!

There are different brands to choose from, that all do basically the same thing. The two main brands are British Berkefeld, and Berkey. They both make more expensive black carbon filters, which you can pay extra for, and which need to be replaced at some point. I just went with the standard ceramic filters that come with the unit. Both these brands had great reviews; I opted for  the British Berkefeld based on price, and because they had the mid-range size that I wanted. I've recommended the same type to friends and family, people who were still buying water in plastic bottles, and who were contemplating spending several thousand dollars on a high tech water purifier. Seriously, everyone loves it as much as I do. I'm posting an ad for it below, as well as to the other leading brand for comparison. Please check it out if you're interested- any purchases made through my link help support our family. Thanks in advance!


Share the article to support the site!

Other Articles

A Wonderful Low-Cost Water Filter
4/ 5
Oleh

Subscribe via email

Get up to date articles the second they come out!

27 comments

Write comments
avatar
June 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM

The Doulton filters work well in these also. I have the same one you do and my parents have the Big Berkey.

Reply
avatar
June 6, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Sorry Zola! It's directly below the last paragraph of the article. It's not a text link, but a picture of the water filter listing on Amazon.

Reply
avatar
June 12, 2016 at 5:01 PM

That is a good looking water filter. How do u keep the water cold, put it in the fridge?

Reply
avatar
June 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Great info. I'll have to check it out. by the way, I found you on Inspire Me Mondays!
Blessings,
Beckie from Spotlight, https://beckielindsey16.com/

Reply
avatar
June 14, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Yes, I keep a jar of filtered water in the fridge. We usually drink room temperature water or add ice if we want it cold, but the jar of cold water is nice for making smoothies.

Reply
avatar
June 17, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Our family loves these filters too. We use ours for all our cooking needs and for drinking as well. I am so happy that I can feel a bit of peace about what our kids are drinking. God bless you!

Reply
avatar
June 20, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Yes, exactly Rebekah! I also use it for our houseplants and pets.

Reply
avatar
June 21, 2016 at 4:16 PM

I'm sorry but I also cannot find the link. There is no photos of an amazon ad in the blog post I am looking at. I'm reading through Bloglovin' but only your blog url shows up in the address area....

Reply
avatar
June 21, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Strange! Maybe Bloglovin' doesn't support the ads? I see it right after the article on both the mobile version and on the computer. I appreciate you letting me know, Chris :/

Reply
avatar
September 12, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Are these Water Purifier portable? I m looking for portable water filtering.

Reply
avatar
September 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM

I have read in the reviews that you can collapse the filter and carry it in a suitcase! So yes, they're portable, though mine stays on my kitchen counter. If I went on an extended trip I'd certainly consider bringing it!

Reply
avatar
October 24, 2016 at 4:12 AM

Finally I’ve found your blog, awesome way of explaining each and everything really.
clearwaterarizona

Reply
avatar
December 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM

I have a water filter bottle and I bought it at good price too. Anyways at the end of purchase it is the effectiveness that matters. I am very satisfied of this product.

Reply
avatar
February 22, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Thinking of your families health you wont mind the cost. But this is a great price and I hope it works better and last long.

water filter

Reply
avatar
April 20, 2017 at 7:53 AM

Thanks for share and nice blog.

Reply
avatar
June 9, 2017 at 10:52 PM

I also couldn't find the Amazon ad... and then realized I had an ad-blocker active! (Blush) I disabled the ad-blocker for this page, and voilĂ !

Reply
avatar
jay
July 4, 2017 at 12:45 AM

Water it life. Its sad, growing up in Pomona, CA when I was a kid we always drank out of the hose. Now over 30 years later I don't even know if that was good idea. Water is so crucial to our daily living. I wonder how many diseases we wouldn't have to deal with if we had clean water. Great Article!

Reply
avatar
July 26, 2017 at 12:29 AM

It's Interesting. About 3 years ago a friend of mine gave me a presentation and some education on Alkaline Water. Me and my wife sat at his house and he spoke to us about the Kangen Water Filter system. I was always under the impression that as long as I was drinking bottled water from he store I would be fine. I didn't realize that many of those water bottles have been expose to different weather conditions as well as having been bottled up for months on a truck. Nice article.

Reply
avatar
August 28, 2017 at 8:15 AM


Wow, I really like your post because the information which you given in this blog is really extra ordinary.

prepper blog
outdoor survival gear

Reply
avatar
September 22, 2017 at 3:49 AM

I read your info post. This is a very informative and interesting post about the Low-Cost Water Filter. I am getting much information with that.I agree with you everyone should drink enough pure water and use a best water filter for drinking pure water. Every year many people in the world are affected by water-borne diseases for not drinking pure water. so I am knowing some new things with your article. thanks a lot. Keep writing.

Reply
avatar
October 13, 2017 at 1:39 AM

This is good looking water filter. Thanks!

Reply
avatar
December 28, 2017 at 2:02 AM

We enjoyed reading your blog. Very informative information.

Keep up great work! RO Membrane

Reply
avatar
April 12, 2018 at 12:40 AM

Great article, I really like it.
thanks.

Reply