Tuesday, October 6, 2015

How to Preserve the Other Half of that Avocado

half avocado

Because sometimes you just don't want a whole avocado all at once. Don't get me wrong; I can eat an entire avocado with my eyes closed. But often I'll use only half to garnish a salad or soup, or spread on some crackers. And I want the rest to still be good later.


When I was a kid we'd just tuck half in the fridge, with some plastic wrap on it or slipped inside a sandwich bag. It invariably had completely browned on top by the time we got back to it.



cut avocado

The method I use these days is painless, mindless, and all too simple: 

  1. Cut your avocado in half, and use the half you need. 
  2. Don't remove the pit from the half you want to save. Leave it intact.
  3. Cover the saved half with the empty husk by balancing it on top. Just close it up like a lid of a box.
  4. Pop it in the fridge, and try to remember to use it within a day or two. 
It will stay green and delicious.


half avocado
Same avocado, the next day. Still appetizing!
What if you have a different problem, and find that you've sliced into an avocado that's not yet ripe? Don't worry, it's not wasted! Check out my technique here for ripening an avocado that's been opened already.

Below are Amazon Affiliate Ads. Any purchase made through them helps support our family. Thanks in advance!

Share the article to support the site!

Other Articles

How to Preserve the Other Half of that Avocado
4/ 5
Oleh

Subscribe via email

Get up to date articles the second they come out!

7 comments

Write comments
avatar
October 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM

That is a very cool idea; I will probably do this with my next avocado. I probably won't refrigerate it 'cuz I really like a room temp avocado better than a cold one.

Here's what I've usually done:
I just leave that avocado half sitting on the counter unwrapped with the seed still in. The next day I remove the pit, and then with my sharp paring knife cut off a very thin slice from the exposed side. It will have hardened into a protective covering for the rest of the fruit.
The same technique works for bananas if you don't peel them but only cut them crosswise. That little open end will turn into a thin hard layer which can be sliced off exposing a perfectly delicious banana for tomorrow's breakfast.
I'm always amazed and happy when I find that nature (or nature's God) makes provisions for protecting things without the use of man-made inventions other than a little gentle nudging.

Reply
avatar
October 10, 2015 at 10:43 AM

That is very cool! Thanks Annie :)

Reply
avatar
July 16, 2016 at 2:22 AM

Excellent information to have! I love avocados and never want to waste a single bit! :)

Reply
avatar
July 17, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Neat. I am like you, I can eat a whole avocado in one sitting, but there are times I only want a bit. Thanks for the great tip.

Reply
avatar
July 22, 2016 at 4:20 AM

I can't tell you how many sad avocados I have wasted because of not being able to preserve them. Thanks for saving them in the future!

You've been chosen to be featured on the next Peace, Love, Link Up! Grab a button and I'll see you Friday at 6 for more sharing fun! : )

Reply
avatar
July 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM

neat! who knew! and so easy :) Thanks for the tip!

Reply